Saturday, June 24, 2006

Red Azalea

Red Azalea
By Anchee Min

This is an extraordinary book. I'd never heard of it and to be honest I picked it out at the library because it's a small paperback and was the only book on the shelf I was standing next to that would fit in my bag.

It is the story of the author’s childhood in China under the Maoist regime. I had to keep reminding myself that it’s an autobiography because it reads like a novel. Min’s story is about growing up, but this universal and familiar human experience is set in a time and place that for most readers is simply unimaginable. This is a book that I won’t soon forget and I highly recommend it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Hello, Jessica!

I took just a very quick look at your blog, but I know already I'm going to love it because your book selections are right up my alley. I will return and spend more time reading your reviews. Just wanted to say "hello" for now and glad I found you!

5:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
»

4:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home