Sunday, May 14, 2006

We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families



We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families
Phillip Gourevitch

I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the terrible events in Rwanda in 1994. This book explores the complexity of the genocide in Rwanda with insight and sensitivity. Until I read this book I didn’t fully appreciate how little I knew about what had happened in Rwanda, nor did I appreciate the response of the rest of the world to those events.

In 1994 I was still in high school and knew nothing about the genocide in Rwanda. Like many 17 year olds, I was self-obsessed and apathetic about world politics. What astonished me most about this book was that the rest of the world seems to have shared my teenaged-attitude towards Rwanda in 1994.

Gourevitch also writes at length about the huge refugee camps in the countries bordering Rwanda that were a product of the genocide. His discussion of the significant and complex role that international humanitarian aid agencies played in the creation and survival of these camps is fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home